The Latest in Digital Health News
The Health Data Exploration Project’s regular scan through the news.
Consumer Reports backs Fitbit accuracy despite lawsuit
Beetles inspire ice-resistant aircraft surfaces
- The Namib Desert Beetle, which lives in one of the hottest places in the world but is still able to gather water, has inspired a way to prevent ice buildup on surfaces. Read more…
When Mobile Mental Health Meets Telepsychiatry, Superior Care is Possible
- Clinical studies have shown that every patient population can benefit from telepsychiatry services. Read more…
Vanity Futures: The future of health – Seeing Again
- Second Sight is a system that helps the blind see again using glasses and an implant in and around the patient’s eye. Here, Larry Hester, a patient whose eyesight has been improved with the technology, and Dr. Robert Greenberg, chief executive officer at Second Sight, discuss the breakthrough of restoring partial eyesight using robotics and explain the technology and business behind the eye implant. Read more…
Managing Big Green Data
- No matter where you look, the amount of information worldwide is exploding and the area of renewable energy is not immune. As the use and deployment of renewables grows, so too, is the amount of data the technologies surrounding these energies are generating. Read more…
Yahoo Releases the Largest-ever Machine Learning Dataset for Researchers
- Data is the lifeblood of research in machine learning. However, access to truly large-scale datasets is a privilege that has been traditionally reserved for machine learning researchers and data scientists working at large companies – and out of reach for most academic researchers. Read more...
More Medical Researchers Engage In Self-Experimentation
- When Bob Hariri developed a product he thought could be useful as a human-skin replacement for burn victims, he had no trouble finding a subject willing to test it–himself. Read more…
How secure are wearables, anyway?
- Whether you’re using that new wearable for yourself or managing IT at a company where fit trackers and smart watches are becoming more popular, wearables just might be the next big bullseye for cybercriminals. Read more…
GOT A SUGGESTION?
Is there a news item or new research article that you think we should feature in the HD Explorer? Let us know at http://hdexplore.calit2.net/contact/.